Pets Stay Safe At Christmas

Grapes, Raisins and Currants

Tis’ the season to be jolly and, of course, to eat Christmas cake, pudding and mince pies!
Grapes can be eaten fresh, processed to make wine or juice, or dried to produce; raisins, sultanas and currants.

With Christmas round the corner, we are likely to have an increasing number of foodstuffs containing currants and raisins in our homes. This increases the risk of our pets getting hold of them.
The Veterinary Poisons Information Service recommends treatment for ingestion of any amount of grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants ingested in cats and dogs.

The main concern with the ingestion of grape products is kidney failure. Clinical signs are expected to onset set within 24 hours. Vomiting occurs in the majority of cases. Bloody stools, tender abdomen, weakness and lethargy may also been seen. Kidney failure can develop within 72 hours post ingestion.
Please call the practice for advice immediately if you suspect your pet has eaten grapes, raisins or currants.


Christmas Trees

With Christmas just days away, many of us have now put up the Christmas tree ready for the big day. Some pets may not be able to resist the temptation of chewing the branches on our decorative holiday plants.
Christmas trees are considered to be of low toxicity. If your pet eats some they may remain well or develop mild symptoms only. Ingestion may cause physical injury (some needles can be very sharp) vomiting and diarrhoea or intestinal obstruction if enough is eaten!
If pets are seen chewing on the Christmas tree, they should be observed closely for any changes in behaviour and call the practice if you are concerned.


Artificial Snow

During the festive season, artificial or fake snow may be used for window shop displays, events and family parties.
This can cause irritation if it is ingested in large enough quantities. The Veterinary Poisons Advice Unit has not recorded any severe cases of poisoning reported to date, following ingestion of fake snow.